Foreign & Commonwealth Office
Main purpose of job:
The Department for International Trade (DIT) is the UK government department charged with promoting and financing international trade and development, and championing free trade. In Brazil, DIT operates within the British Embassy in Brasília, and Consulates in São Paulo, Rio de Janeiro, Belo Horizonte and Recife, with a team who work primarily through a number of sector specific export promotion campaigns.
This is a brilliant opportunity to work in one of the most exciting export campaigns for UK Government in Brazil. You will work as part of the DIT’s Marine and Energy team, being responsible, mainly, for assisting the UK Maritime industry on its efforts to export to and invest in Brazil. DIT works to build strong relationships with overseas industries and governments, providing specialist export advice and practical assistance to British companies and working closely with UK and Brazil government departments.
Our team also focuses on Low Carbon policies for the sector, based on the UK Government Clean Growth Strategy.
This is an ideal position for someone with the ability to work collaboratively with an international team. The job will require the successful candidate to take responsibility for delivering both quickly and to a high standard.
Roles and responsibilities / what will the jobholder be expected to achieve?:
The successful candidate will support the delivery of DIT Brazil Marine activities below:
Trade support (25%)
- Answer chargeable and non-chargeable general and diverse enquiries (personal, telephone, e-mail, work mobile phone) from Brazilian and UK stakeholders;
- Analyse the demands of the sector in Brazil and search for UK suppliers that offer matching solutions;
- Organise visits and events for companies coming to Brazil to follow up on the research reports they have commissioned, including elaborating briefings and scheduling meetings with potential partners and key industry bodies as well as supporting product launches.
Trade promotion (25%)
- Assist with logistic and administrative arrangements for official events such as missions (inward and outward), lunches, dinners, trade fairs, seminars, showcases and dialogues;
- Build programmes for stakeholders visiting trade shows;
- Support official visits both in the UK and in Brazil;
- Input information on business opportunities collected from a range of sources (government tenders/company procurement teams/ business agents) into the UK Export Opportunities platform. Identify and contact prospective UK suppliers for those opportunities. Maintain an updated contact database and ensure impact and interactions are recorded on DIT’s database.
Administrative support (25%)
- Support the core functions of the DIT team;
- Arrange meetings and visit programmes for other colleagues in the team when required;
- Coordinate budget management, monthly updating the Marketing Activity Plan and the budget holder, enabling him to make decisions;
- Work collaboratively with other teams for official visits, events, elaborate briefings and/or general support;
- Line Manage an intern;
- Ad hoc activities.
Opening Markets (25%)
- Develop a structure with the Business Development Manager and the Head of Sector to understand the main issues from the Marine stakeholders and create an action plan to support the UK companies and investors to do business in Brazil.
- Professional experience in business, commercial or administrative functions
- Ability to solve problems, prioritise, organise and manage multiple tasks
- Capacity to have a high-standard customer-focused approach
- Committed team player with ability to self-motivate, resilience and autonomy
- Written and oral fluency and very good communication skills in both Portuguese and English
- Very good command of Microsoft Office (outlook, excel, word)
- Language: Portuguese and English
- Level of language required: both fluent
- A University degree in Business Administration, International Relations, or related fields
- Experience in marine/offshore fields
- Experience in event organisation (managing suppliers, travels and logistics)
- Knowledge/understanding of Brazilian business landscape
- Grade – A2 (L)
- Type of Position – Full-time
- Working hours per week -36
- Region – Latin America and Spanish speaking Caribbean
- Country/Territory – Brazil
- Location (City) -Rio De Janeiro
- Type of Post – British Consulate
- Number of vacancies -1
- Starting monthly salary () -BRL 5535,00
- Start Date Start Date – day Start Date – month Start Date – year
25 May 2020
Eligibility to work and live in Brazil is required.
The British Embassy Network offers a strong benefits package. This package includes generous vacation and leave time, flexible working patterns, and an enriching learning and development opportunities.
The British Diplomatic Mission to Brazil, or “Brazil Network”, has a learning culture that encourages its entire staff to develop, through formal training, learning from others and on the job.
- Please be aware that you will only be able to apply to vacancies for Local Staff roles with the British Government through this official tal.net site (operated by Oleeo). Jobs may be advertised on third party websites, however our adverts will always link back to the official tal.net site. If you complete and send an application through any other site, we will not receive it.