- Announcement Number:
- Hiring Agency: Embassy Brasilia
- Position Title: Economic Assistant – All Interested Applicants
- Open Period: 05/15/2020 – 05/29/2020
- Hiring Path:
- Open to the public
- Who May Apply/Clarification From the Agency:
- All Interested Applicants / All Sources
- For USEFM – FP is 5. Actual FP salary determined by Washington D.C.
Security Clearance Required:
- Public Trust – Background Investigation
- Appointment Type Permanent
- Appointment Type Details:
- Indefinite subject to successful completion of probationary period
- We encourage you to read and understand the Eight (8) Qualities of Overseas Employees before you apply.
- The U.S. Mission in Brasilia is seeking eligible and qualified applicants for the position of Economic Assistant in the Economic Section (ECON).
- Assess Brazil’s trade and investment policies; assess business, and industry sector developments; and advise Economic Section on policy actions based on overall U.S.
- interests in Brazil. Also support analysis of key sectors (i.e. industrial, agriculture,retail).
- Maintain and expand economic section and Embassy network of contacts with a broad range of government officials,non-profit organization, and private sector representatives to advance American Mission goals in a top ten global economy.Backup other Economic Section LE Staff. Support training and mentoring of short-term personal services contractors.
Qualifications and Evaluations:
- Experience in one or more of the following areas: economics, law, international relations, business administration or statistics is required.
- Thorough knowledge of Brazil’s economic system, social dynamics and history, its institutions and key government and non-government figures. Familiarity with US foreign policy objectives, particularly in Brazil and the region. General understanding of US politics, economics, and history.
- University degree (Bachelors) in economics, law, international relations, business administration or statistics required.
- LANGUAGE: (This may be tested)
- English fluency in reading/writing/speaking is required.
- Portuguese fluency in reading/writing/speaking is required.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES: (This may be tested):
- Sound judgment. Ability to develop and cultivate relevant contacts, gather information and draft original documents on complex issues with speed and accuracy.
- Must be able to operate under pressure, often on tight deadlines, and occasionally at public or high-profile events.
- Ability to plan and organize complicated projects such as events and visitors’ schedules.
- Strong time management skills and the ability to meet deadlines are required, as are flexibility and the willingness to take on unexpected tasks. Ability to work with Microsoft Office, Microsoft Outlook and Internet.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY (EEO):
- The U.S. Mission provides equal opportunity and fair and equitable treatment in employment to all people without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation, marital status, or sexual orientation.
- All applicants under consideration will be required to pass medical and security certifications.
Benefits and Other Inf
- Agency Benefits:
- Locally Employed Staff, including Members of Household (MOHs), and Third-Country Nationals (TCNs), working at the U.S. Mission in (insert post and/or country name) may receive a compensation package that may include health, separation, and other benefits.
- For EFMs, benefits should be discussed with the Human Resources Office.
- The pay plan is assigned at the time of the conditional offer letter by the HR Office.
- HIRING PREFERENCE SELECTION PROCESS: Applicants in the following hiring preference categories are extended a hiring preference in the order listed below.
- Therefore, it is essential that these applicants accurately describe their status on the application.
- Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not eligible for a hiring preference.
HIRING PREFERENCE ORDER:
- AEFM / USEFM who is a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran*
- AEFM / USEFM
- FS on LWOP and CS with reemployment rights **
- Applicants who claim status as a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran must submit a copy of their most recent DD-214 (“Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty”), equivalent documentation, or certification.
- A “certification” is any written document from the armed forces that certifies the service member is expected to be discharged or released from active duty service in the armed forces under honorable conditions within 120 days after the certification is submitted by the applicant. The certification letter should be on letterhead of the appropriate military branch of the service and contain (1) the military service dates including the expected discharge or release date;
- and (2) the character of service.
- Acceptable documentation must be submitted in order for the preference to be given.
- This level of preference applies to all Foreign Service employees on LWOP and CS with re-employment rights back to their agency or bureau.
- For more information (i.e., what is an EFM, USEFM, AEFM, MOH, etc.?) and for additional employment considerations, please visit the following link.
How to Apply:
- All candidates must be able to obtain and hold a Public Trust clearance.
- To apply for this position click the “Apply to this Vacancy” button. For more information on how to apply visit the Mission internet site.
- Please make sure you enter all your work experience and education through the ERA Application. Attached Curriculum files will not be considered.
- For positions that require English Fluency or Good Working Knowledge, applications MUST be submitted in English.
- USEFM Candidates must have at least one year remaining on their sponsor’s tour of duty to be considered eligible to apply for this position at the time of the announcement closing.
- In order to qualify based on education, you MUST submit the requested diploma and / or transcripts as verification of educational requirement by the closing date of this announcement. If you fail to provide requested information, or the information you submit is insufficient to verify your eligibility, you will not be considered for this position.
- Degree (not transcript)
- DD-214 – Member Copy 4, Letter from Veterans’ Affairs, or other supporting documentation (if applicable)
- SF-50 (if applicable
- Next Steps
- Applicants who are invited to take a language or skills test, or who are selected for an interview will be contacted via email.
- Thank you for your application and your interest in working at the U.S. Mission in Brasilia.