Site Global Health Strategies
About Global Health Strategies (GHS):
Global Health Strategies (GHS) is an international consulting company specialized in communications, advocacy, research and strategy, working to ensure development and worldwide delivery of health products, technologies and information. Our work is driven by our commitment to the issues, which in turn drives our commitment to enhancing our client’s efforts to address some of the world’s toughest health challenges.
We focus primarily on public health issues that impact developing nations and emerging markets. We view effective communications and advocacy as mutually reinforcing tools to impact health policies practice and funding.
About the Position:
Global Health Strategies is seeking an intelligent, passionate about generating social impact, hard-working communications manager to lead its communications work in Brazil and Latin America. They will play a key role in developing communications and advocacy strategies, including media outreach and social media engagement, and will work closely with the program team to advance global health issues on a number of projects.
They should have a solid media network and good project management skills. Familiarity with public health is considered a plus, especially in the fields of HIV/AIDS, Tuberculosis, Malaria, Nutrition, Infectious Diseases, Reproductive Health, Maternal & Child Health or Immunization.
As part of the Brazil team, which is responsible for GHS’ work in Latin America, the candidate must be fully fluent in both Portuguese (preferentially native) and English. Fluency in written and spoken Spanish is also strongly desirable.
Note: We are seeking a full-time professional to join our team at the Rio office, but the selected professional will likely start with a short-term, part time consultancy as the office being currently closed due to the COVID-19 outbreak.
- Lead media outreach to targeted national and international journalists according to project needs and priority countries
- Write pitches, press releases and op-eds and develop other high-quality documents, including briefings, presentations, talking points and fact sheets
- Carry out communications needs assessments and develop communications plans and strategies
- Develop digital communications strategies, including social media engagement
- Lead research and landscaping on global health and development topics.
- Provide day-to-day support to operations of programmatic and advocacy activities, events, relationship management, strategy and messaging development
- Liaise with external consultants including designers, translators and others, to advance partners’ projects
- Must currently reside in Brazil and be authorized to work in the country
- At least 6 years of professional experience in developing and implementing media and communications strategies or as a journalist in a media organization
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, public relations or related areas and a relevant graduate degree (desirable)
- Experience in newsroom and/or public relations, and in dealing with the press
- Experience in developing advocacy campaigns for digital media, social media and campaign marketing
- Excellent research, writing and organization skills
- Experiencing in designing and implementing communications plans
- Strong attention to details, initiative, and ability to proactively solve problems and implement tasks
- Understanding of or interest in global health issues and strong desire to contribute to make impact in people’s lives
- Must be fluent in Portuguese, English and Spanish (desirable)
- International professional work experience
- Experience working with non-profit organizations, philanthropic foundations or corporate social responsibility programs
How to Apply:
Please email cover letter stating your interest in this position and a resume in English (all in one file) until April 30 to [email protected]
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. GHS strongly encourages the applications of candidates from historically underrepresented groups.
Please include “Communications Manager – Rio” in the subject line.
Please email your resume in .doc, .docx, .pdf, .txt, .rtf, .html, or .ascii format to the address below. If you wish to enclose a cover letter, please include it in the body of your email message.